Friday, February 12, 2010

Rest in Peace, Lee McQueen.

Lee McQueen, founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand and fashion house, passed away in his home at age 40. It has been noted it was a suicide. This momentous loss effects me so deeply. McQueen was my most respected designer. Unlike pretty much everyone in the fashion world, to me, McQueen never had a bad collection. He never sent anything out with his name that was less than impressive. He taught us all something we'd never seen, never known, with everything he touched. He was a pioneer of the Avant Garde. Every time we had to use another designer as inspiration while I was in fashion school, I used McQueen, without hesitation. To me, everyone else was kind of boring. I am deeply saddened to think I will never again see something new from him, but feel very fortunate that I was able to take so much from his art when I was a student, and will continue to do so looking back on all he has done over the years. Rest in Peace Lee, I hope you're in a better place, for you anyway. And thank you for all you have done. Your art and your vision has taught many of us to never be afraid to push the boundaries, and just do what people tell us not to, all the time.






















No comments: