Monday, May 14, 2012

Custom Mother of the Bride Dress

When Karen, a soon to be mother of the bride, approached me a few months ago about designing a dress for her to wear at her daughter's wedding, I have to say, I was a bit nervous, but also very excited. Designing dresses for important events that people will remember for a life time is a unique and humbling experience. Karen sent me some inspiration photos and said she wanted something vintage inspired and fitted. She said she liked 40's style dresses and feathers. I decided to do a cowl neck fitted dress with a pleated waist band in a beautiful royal blue crepe de chine fabric.
(WOW, that is one messy work room....) Because she mentioned feathers, I decided to make her a detachable feather clip, so it could be removed for dry cleaning, but also worn with other outfits if she wanted, or worn on different areas of the dress.
After all was said and done, Karen was thrilled with the dress, and she looked beautiful on her daughter's big day. I was lucky enough to snatch her away at the big event for a quick photo op.
What a fun dress to make! It was particularly enjoyable seeing it come to life on Karen at her daughter's wedding. If you or someone you know is interested in a custom dress for a special event, please don't hesitate to contact me with your ideas to ktsager@gmail.com

No comments: